Facebook

25 January 2017

Wordless Wednesday | Science Experiments On Board



Wordless Wednesday is supposed to be about posting a photo(s) without any words. But, I'm a rule breaker, so here are a few words:


1 - We're replacing the seals around our Lewmar portlights to try to stop the leaking.

2 - Scott wanted to try to get the old sealant off of the original seals so that we could reuse them rather than buying new ones. 

3 - He asked me if I had a pot he could use for his little science experiment. Hmm...boiling gross rubber seals with chemicals encrusted on them in our cooking pots? No, I don't think so.

4 - He went with Plan B - using a disposable pie tin.
 

What words does this picture(s) bring to your mind when you look at it?

For more Wordless Wednesday fun, click here

Thanks for stopping by our blog - we love it when people come visit! We're also on Facebook - pop by and say hi!

29 comments:

  1. I admire your ingenuity and wisdom.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/01/as-we-leave-texas-book-festival.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so sure about his wisdom :-) but he is ingenious.

      Delete
  2. Lol! This is the twin to "I'm just going to change the oil / do some other nasty job" "In your nicest shirt?" "I won't get it dirty!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny. Scott's looking forward to meeting you guys in the Bahamas which would mean he's out of the marina and done with boat projects.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Alex. Did it work? And what's the cheaper. New seals or fuel/chemicals used to clean the old ones up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did work. New seals are about $15 each. Our electricity is included in our slip fee so there was no cost there and we didn't use any chemicals. So the only cost was Scott's time and it didn't take much of that.

      Delete
  4. LOL. The word that comes to mind for me is "Brr?" That's the kind of thing my hubby would do--try to use one of my nice pots for something like that. Silly men, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me think of buying new ones. That's what that photograph made me think. Just saying. Boats are so expensive, but they are worth it.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. And you've done some great experiments in your time, like you toilet paper one :-)

      Delete
  7. Energy. As in, how much to boil off old glue and goober? Silly men. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually didn't take too much energy as in electricity, which we don''t pay for anyway, or energy in terms of Scott's effort. So it was an overall win.

      Delete
  8. My husband is the opposite. We would've had new ones within the hour. He did not grow up with DIY and it stuck with him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We never tried to get junk off seals by boiling them. Didn't it ruin the rubber? Or change shape? Let us know how the experiment worked out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually worked great. The heat loosened up the hard sealant that the previous owner had applied and didn't ruin the rubber or change it's shape. So far, all is good and no leaks. Long may that last :-)

      Delete
  10. No. Old rubber is leaking BECAUSE it's old rubber and has lost its pliability. Heating it will make it worse. Come on Scott, you have much better things to do with your time! (Though I admire the power of your DIY spirit!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the leaks weren't due to the rubber seal itself. They were in okay shape. The previous owner had applied some sort of hard sealant around the seal to address the leaks. What they should have done was removed the seal, removed the old silicone, put new silicone in and reattached the seal. His fix didn't address the issue which was that the seals just needed to be rebedded with silicone. Scott heated the seal to loosen the old crap that was put on so that it wouldn't tear the seal by pulling it off. The heat hasn't affected the seal and they were in good enough condition to reuse. We've since tested and our fix seems to work - no more leaks. It didn't take Scott much time and it solved the problem, so it actually was a good use of his time.

      Delete
  11. Now I want pie. Every time I come to this blog, I leave hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, every time I write a blog post I end up hungry. I'm not sure what's going on here :-)

      Delete
  12. Wow...glad that worked for you.
    I have to figure out a similar project for the first row of tiles on our front porch step. The previous owner used thin set, then some marine like pliable adhesive, then he resorted to just trying to cement the damn things on. By the time we got the place, the tiles were broken in so many places from the poor 'fixes' and water intrusion. I was able to pull the tiles off and am just trying to figure out how to get all of the 'junk' off now. :\

    - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's hard to figure out why previous owners did the things they did. But of course, one day we'll be the previous owners everyone complains about :-)

      Delete

We LOVE when people leave comments. It's so much more fun hearing what you have to say. If you have a blog, make sure you leave a link and I'll be sure to pop on by.