Every month, I do a random sort of recap in numbers with miscellaneous facts and figures that happen to pop into my head. So, without further ado, here's what happened last month, by the numbers.
- 49 – Number of nautical charts I scored from the free table at our marina. From what I can tell, they’re worth around $300. Our cost – $0. I love the free table!
- 7 – Number of hours I spent inventorying our free nautical charts and daydreaming about places we can sail to one day.
- 50 – How many years I’ve now spent on Planet Earth. I think my mom may be more stunned by this than me. After all, now she has a 50 year old daughter. Hah!
- 2 – Number of times I visited a sick friend at the VA hospital in West Palm Beach during the past month. If you’re ever feeling a bit down about your life, spending some time at a VA facility is a sure fired way to put things in perspective. Talking to veterans about their experiences is eye opening and very humbling. (Non-American readers might not be familiar with the VA, which stands for Veteran’s Affairs. They provide medical care and federal benefits to veterans and their dependents.)
- 2 – Number of potlucks we had at the marina. One of the things I love about potlucks is trying new dishes. One of the ladies made the most amazing pineapple salsa and banana pudding. I had never had banana pudding before and neither had the others. Turns out it’s a southern dish and us northerners have been missing out. This stuff is seriously delicious. Of course, I’m not sure you can go wrong with bananas, custard and nilla wafers.
- 980+ – Number of followers on our Facebook page as of the end of May. I’m actually blown away that we have so many people like our Facebook page. Wouldn’t it be cool to get to 1,000? Oh my goodness, I’ve become one of those people that gets excited about reaching Facebook milestones. What’s happened to me?
- 8 – Number of meatless days I had. Do you ever have meatless days?
- 1 - Number of t-shirts I turned into tank tops with my trusty Sailrite sewing machine. I thought it made sense to re-purpose what I already have and don't wear.
- 12 – The number of books I read during May. Some were for the Around the World in 80 Books challenge, others were mysteries set in the States and sci-fi set in galaxies far, far away.
- 8 – The number of books/short stories I won! I love winning stuff. Who doesn’t? I won copies of Writing in a Nutshell by Jessica Bell and Secondhand Shoes, The Partners’ Progeny, Time on Her Side and Samah Ronit by Shelly Arkon and, all courtesy of Michelle at Writer in Transit during the A to Z Challenge. I won Overlook and Escape Plan by Elizabeth Hein as part of a drawing on her blog, Scribbling in the Storage Room. But, wait, there’s more - I also won a copy of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group anthology, Parallels: Felix was Here, which I can highly recommend. I haven’t had a chance to read the other books and short stories that I won yet – it looks like June will be a busy month!
We hope you had a wonderful May full of good food, good company and good books and that this month is off to a great start and gets even better as the month goes on.
In case you missed them, here are some of our favorite blog posts from last month:
Boat Cat Adventures: Tales from the Crazy Cat Lady
A Fair Maiden’s Quest for a Filter of Fuel & Magical Boat Spells
The Well Traveled Can Opener
Thanks for stopping by our blog - we love it when people come visit! We're also on Facebook - we'd love for you to pop by and say hi!